From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 01:22:36 +0200
Meredith Buell asks if anyone has used a technique to reduce edema of the
nipple-areolar complex, and describes the technique.

Lactnet is the place where Jean Cotterman's method which she calls reverse
pressure softening got its first real dispersion in our field.  What
Meredith describes sounds like a version of RPS that has been through the
game of 'Gossip' where everyone whispers what they hear from the person on
their right, to the person on their left, and you see how it ends up at the
end of the line.  The Cotterman article on RPS in the JHL was voted most
useful article of that year - it's late and I am too lazy to go leaf through
them, but it was at least two years ago.  Please, any of you who have joined
Lactnet in the interim, take the time to do an archive search on RPS and you
will get a wealth of information.  We know the theory behind this technique
WELL.  I would hesitate to launch it as the scissors treatment out of
concern that mothers would start using the scissors hold for breastfeeding,
or even take a scissors to their breasts to apply pressure with the flat
part of the blades.  Just when you think people can't misunderstand
something that badly, you find out you were wrong.  I prefer RPS, which is
the term Jean herself uses, though where I work it is known as the Cotterman
maneuver.  RPS is too hard to translate into Norwegian and we need to call
it something because we use it all the time.

To anyone who is researching something that is new to them, but may not be
new in the world of lactation: our archives are really useful and the search
function that L-soft has developed is a wonder to behold and to use.  Try it
out, preferably before posting a query to the list.  You may find the
answers you need, or you may be able to formulate your own question more
specifically and get more appropriate responses.  Also, you will gain skill
in using the listserv format, and you will not risk re-hashing a topic that
has been discussed to the last drop here previously.  A win-win-win deal.

Rachel Myr
Not trying to discourage anyone, far from it - trying to make everyone aware
of the resource that is our archives.
Kristiansand, Norway