ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mary Manner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:56:56 -0400

I agree with Paul Orselli's comment about the lack of time for presenting
real science experiences in class.  I work mostly with preschool and
elementary students in our museum, and have been involved locally in
"science reform" issues for years.  I've concluded that the hands-on,
process-oriented science classes that are taking the place of text-book
oriented science classes don't really represent "reform".  They're still
canned and predictable exercises, hardly different from traditional work
sheets and take more time to complete.  The kids get that there is a "right"
answer, which the teacher knows, and their job is to find that answer.  This
is not science.  Science is an adventure into undiscovered country, where
sometimes stumbling through dark and treacherous territory is the only way
to go.   Teachers aren't being prepared to do that in the classroom, and
students sure aren't being prepared reconnoiter on their own.

Environmental education has led the way, I think, by promoting place-based
education as a relevant and authentic way for kids to learn science.  But
it's going to take systemic reform at the highest levels to implement that
kind of real science in our schools.  Until then I hope every community has
a Paul or two they can call upon to bring the excitement, suspense and
wonder of science into the classroom.

Mary U Manner

Director of Education

Great Lakes Children's Museum