ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:17:48 -0400

For my money it depends on whether these standards are descriptive or
proscriptive. As long as we are talking about what skills, knowledge,
temperaments, experiences, etc an informal science educator SHOULD
have it is a very useful exercise especially in a formal educational
setting either for people setting up a training program or deciding
upon a career. Where I would draw the line is when someone tries to
say every informal educator MUST have these things. Every once in
awhile the topic of accrediting or certifying museum professionals
comes up, usually on Museum-L. There are professionals who believe
that there should be some sort of certification for museum
professionals similar to doctor's, lawyers, and teachers. I think
they believe this will lead to more respect and professionalism and
therefore more pay. I don't see it. It doesn't lead to more pay for
teachers and those three professions are among the lowest in trust
and respect in America. (Museums are among the highest in terms trust
in intellectual institutions)

As long as search for such standards is an activity and not a
conclusion and is dynamic and open to constant revision and addition
(like science) it could lead to excellent discussion and be very
helpful. Just don't tell me what classes I MUST take or who I MUST
hire to be a quality museum professional. The proof is in the program.

Matthew White