HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 13:28:42 -0400
Although I cannot take on reading/editing a set of guidelines, I would be
interested in a discussion regarding archival research in general. Earlier in my
 career in California, I realized my anthropology and archaeology background
and  general survey courses in history to be insufficient to understand or
make good  decisions in historic research. As such, I entered a public history
program and  took night courses to learn research, writing, and other topics of
value in the  historical archaeology profession. Going back a bit further in
my career, I  distinctly recall the frustration in the 1969-1970 time period in
which agency  engineers either blew-off bridges (actually, blew them up),
barns, old roads,  various buildings, cemeteries, and standing Native American
structures, but  usually listened to prehistoric archaeologists in project
planning. In those  early days, none of the academic faculty historians came
forward or would  respond to agency or consultant requests for advice (at least here
in  California). As Tom King has noted, archaeologists in the early stages of
 forming the environmental reviews of the 1969-1975 time period simply filled
the  void and applied their own standards for what is important. The National
 Register program also developed in that period and ended up being a very
complicated process in which history is treated separately from archaeology,
even though the two are actually one. Eventually, as the history field
dramatically sagged in classroom enrollment, the new field of public history  emerged.
As well, academic historians in California like Dorothy Theodoratus,  Ph.D.
(might have that spelling wrong) stridently advocated change and vocally
demonstrated at Society for California Archaeology conferences demanding  academic
historians be hired into the process. There were many profound changes
between 1969 and the late 1970s that advanced the need for professional  historians
or history-trained archaeologists to deal with agency-financed  destruction of
historical properties. And, I might add, here in California the  local
planning process developed an industry independent of what became the  federal
Section 106 process. Now in its 37th year of existence, the California
Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) has generated careers for historians and  archaeologists
alike. But there remains fundamentally different approaches to  historical
primary documents when it comes to academic historians and  archaeologists. This
is much like dealing with geologists, who see broad periods  of rock
formation and land transformation process over millions of years.  Historians
interested in theory have difficulty dealing with the nitty-gritty of  sheep farms,
small towns, or individual buildings. The problem has been that the  agencies
requesting historical work or importance assessments often find  historians and
archaeologists at odds. I distinctly recall a conversation with  Donald
Cutter, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, University of New Mexico, who smirked  when he
recalled reading archaeology reports of "significant" finds. During my  career
with the County of San Diego (retired now), I continued to disagree with
consulting historians over the importance of buildings, old roads, rock walls,  and
trash features. Even today, I perform entirely different in-depth historical
studies (_www.legacy106.com_ (http://www.legacy106.com) ) than my  history
colleagues who tend to ignore the nitty-gritty of archival research.  Given
these fundamental issues that I have sketched, how can we develop a  meaningful
set of guidelines on archival research without first defining the  goals?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.