From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:43:10 -0800
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In a recent New Republic, Richard Taruskin reviews three new books about
>the prolonged dying throes of classical music in USA culture.  A short
>excerpt to whet your appetites is below.  The whole article (starting
>at page 1) is at:
>
>http://www.tnr.com/story.html?id=f3839c75-3724-4154-adc4-e0638e30448a&p=1

I am reminded of a recent article I read on classical radio...I wish I
had kept the URL..Central to the article was the notion, shared, in part,
by the discussion of Taruskin, that classical music must be enjoyable
to be valued.

It seems to me that we can value a painting, or a play, or a movie that
might disturb us, and perhaps give us pause to reflect on something
unpleasant.  Yet, why is it that we, collectively speaking, seem to
reject the notion that music can have the same impact and that music
that stretches our ears be considered worthy of our time.  Perhaps it
is that notion that music is passively consumed?  Other thoughts?

Karl