HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Davoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 07:34:55 -0700
I'm hoping to organize a symposium for SHA 2010 on coastal archaeology and
the effects of hurricanes.  Below is a very preliminary abstract to test the
waters, so to speak.  If anyone is interested in participating in such a
symposium, please let me know off-list at [log in to unmask]

Hurricanes can be creators or destroyers of archaeological sites.  Over the
centuries, underwater and terrestrial sites have been created and destroyed
by hurricane forces.  Ships caught unprotected at sea sank, carrying crew and
cargo to the bottom.  Storm surges push ashore, altering and erasing the
landscape in their path.