HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Keeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:39:21 -0800
Hi, Kris,

Some I throw out to students in my classes are:

"The past is a foreign country.  They do things differently there."  L. P. Hartley

"What is past is prologue."  William Shakespeare (or whomever you think wrote all those plays and sonnets)

"The past is not dead.  It's not even past."  William Faulkner

"Shall we never, never get rid of this past?  It lies upon the present like a giant's dead body."  Nathanial Hawthorne

"The distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."  Albert Einstein

"The plow zone is the mist which separates us from the Seventeenth Century."  Garry Wheeler Stone

There's another one from Faulkner about the ability of any Southern boy being able to conjure at any time the moment from the past just before the beginning of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg.  I don't recall it exactly, but I'm sure it could be easily found.

Sorry not to include complete citations.  Sounds like an interesting collection to build!

Best wishes,

Robert Keeler