HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jennifer Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 19:56:54 -0400
Hello everyone, and the usual apologies for cross-posting on other lists... I have recently begun work on a dedicated search engine for archaeological reports ("gray literature").  This search engine provides access to actual full reports that are available on the internet, rather than just citations, as some other sites provide.  It is fueled and hosted by Google, and can be searched by the usual Google methods (boolean searches, etc).  Using this search engine differs from a regular Google.com search, as results will first be culled from a database of websites hosting the archaeological reports (the idea behind this is that most irrelevant hits would be eliminated, and less time wasted searching). The project is in its infancy, and only has about 1,500 websites right now, but new ones are being added on a daily basis.  I would love to get feedback on this project, and welcome your suggestions on how I can tweak this to make it more useful to the archaeological community.  Additionally, I am seeking submissions of any internet websites which host archaeological reports which can be added to the database.  Volunteers that wish to help with this project are, of course, also welcome. ;> The search engine can be found at the following link: http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=005820147126073055622:emhrw4b9mqa Thanks... Looking forward to your feedback! Jennifer PalmerWebmaster, archaeologyfieldwork.com http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com Archaeologyfieldwork.com provides free employment listings in archaeology and related fields, resume and cv listings, field schools, internships, volunteer opportunities, discussion boards, a global list of cultural resource management firms, and other resources for the online archaeological community - since 1996

Discover the new Windows Vista