HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:48:22 -0500
Bill,

I think this is it.  Whisker, again, citing Bausman's History of Beaver Co., says of the Mayer Pottery Co.: On the site of the Mayer pottery a cooper shop was operated by James Patterson in 1859.  At the same place Chapman & Company later made stoneware, crocks, and jugs, and still later Elijah Webster had a stone china potter.  With him was afterwards associated Benjamn Nowling.  The plant was then run for a short time by the Harmony Society, who sold it to the Mayer Pottery Company.

The 1870 census lists Elijah Webster, works in pottery, next to Isaac Harvey, manages pottery, both born in England.  I don't find Elijah in the 1880 census but Albert, a son, is among the potters listed in Beaver Falls in 1880.

P.S. I would be interested in seeing the mark.

Jim