HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:03:48 -0500
Looking at this from a mentoring angle, as well as a marketing one,
everyone would do well to consider the fact that the web's search
engines have changed the way that students do research.  If google
scholar or google book does not find your publication, you do not
exist.  If a student researcher is faced 40 pages of search results
about "can technology", they will begin reviewing the returns with an
eye to what can they get instant access to simply from google.  If
you are not there, they will not go find you.  Going further,
however, is the reality that they will constantly follow the path of
least resistance to information.  The more clicks they have to make
before getting to your page, the fewer people will follow the trail
to the actual article or essay.  That means that if you throw up
barriers, such as subscription fees for digital interlibrary loan,
you will loose even more readers since they will turn to other
journals and sites.  Only the most dogged researchers will track down
articles that are 'digitally obscure'. I'm happy to nod to the fact
that most readers of this list fit into that category, but as the
years pass, you will cease to be the 'average' researcher.

I think our board considers these issues along with cost, value, and
production value.
Cheers,
Tim

Timothy Scarlett