HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Kris Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:07:15 -0500
Hey All:

This note comes from Tom King (who isn't on HistArch but sends his
greetings):

----
I'm analyzing data from the Seven Site on Nikumaroro (where we think Amelia
Earhart breathed her last) and have (a) a putative food can with a
particular kind of opening, and (b) a rectangular ferrous object, about 40
cm. on a side, reduced almost entirely to rust, with evidence of squared-off
corners and little bumps, like faux rivets, along the edge(s) -- I think
I've seen something like this in the form of a cracker or ship biscuit or
maybe tea box, but can't locate an example.  So I'm looking for (a) someone
who knows about early to mid-20th century metal food containers (e.g. canned
meat containers) -- things like when different kinds of openers (keys vs.
various types of pull-tops, for instance) came into use, and (b) someone who
knows about largish rectangular food containers like ship biscuit boxes of
the same general period.

----

If anybody can help Tom out, send him a note at [log in to unmask]

Thanks!

Kris

K. Kris Hirst
Guide to Archaeology
 About.com
archaeology.about.com
www.About.com
Become an About.com Guide: beaguide.about.com
About.com is part of the New York Times Company