HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:15:53 -0700
They call me Ms. Literal.  Sorry.

So...home consumers of milk had a ready supply, at home, of these disks...to reseal their bottles?   I'm not quite old enough to have 'experienced' this closure type, but had heard my parents mention them.  My dad even claims he 'invented' (at least in his small town in SD) attaching a tab to make opening the lid much easier.  He showed the milkman his 'invention', and some months later (kid time)...bottles came with lids with a tab! I imagine many folks "invented" this means of opening the lids...to make it easier.

Regardless (one part does mention they Can be reused tho)..the point being...the disks for sealing milk bottles were not made out of hard rubber.  Hence, I don't think Candace's disks were for such function.

:o)