HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:10:41 -0700
The opening dia. of a typical Common Sense milk bottle is 1 9/16" dia.
(above the ledge/seat)...so just over 1 1/2".  But, I don't know how
much 'slack' they had (I don't have a lid here to measure) - yet
wouldn't think slack would be a good thing, for keeping out airborne
'stuff'.  But, prior to ones being made with a tab to pull on (get the
lid out)...wouldnt the lids need to be of a material that the bottle
pick could dig in to...yet not break...since the lid was used to reclose
(wasn't it?).

If these disks (or Pogs, ala Tim's comment) are hard rubber, they would
have broken at the first extraction.  Yes, the rubber could have been
flexible when new...but...was it...back then?  I am no antique rubber
expert, but am only familiar with the American Hard Rubber Co. that made
buttons, etc....back then.  Were items made of soft (flexible)
rubber...way back then?
Would you want a rubber taste to your milk?  Hmmm.

Wouldn't poker chips have been decorative? Or had better logos...as
advertising?

Not trying to be negative...just like to turn over every stone (man, am
I tired; ha ha).

Carol