HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 22:05:45 -0700
Friends and colleagues: The protection of the human cultural record is
central to ALI's mission, so we welcome every opportunity to present films
that focus on that theme.  Now we have a film reminding people around the
world about the tragedy that struck Iraq in April 2003 and still is
unfolding.  The ransacking of the Iraq Museum and the destruction at other
Iraqi cultural institutions and sites is the topic of Erasing Memory: The
Cultural Destruction of Iraq, the latest video feature on our nonprofit
streaming-media Web site, The Archaeology Channel
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/).

This film in very shocking fashion details the horrendous destruction of the
oldest treasures of human civilization held in the museums and archives of
Iraq in the wake of the 2003 U.S. invasion.  At that time, millennia of
history were bombed, looted and destroyed.  With them went a large part of
our precious memory and knowledge of Iraq as a cradle of human civilization.
  Much of the footage shown is from the time and place of the destruction,
which stands as a prime example of the loss of treasured cultural patrimony
that often is caused by war.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/

Former Police Officer Paul Gillespie’s TAKE BACK THE INTERNET tips and
tricks, watch the video now  http://safety.sympatico.msn.ca/