HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Touton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:43:11 -0700
We actually do have control over how our emails appear on the other end.

As far as I understand, when email is sent as plain text with ASCII encoding (an old standard that is still commonly used because
pretty much every computer can read it), your email program needs to insert line breaks so that your text isn't one long line that
people have to constantly scroll sideways to read.

The breaks happen when you send an email.  In other words, while you're writing your email, the text will go to the edge of the
window and then wrap (i.e., you can resize the window and the text will rearrange itself accordingly).  When you've finished
composing your email and click "send," if you're sending in plain text mode with ASCII encoding, your email program will insert
line breaks every x number of characters (usually 72) to make it easier for the person on the other end to read.

Now, of course, in order to protect listmembers from embedded nasties, HistArch requires that all emails be sent in plain text.
So, if you're using ASCII encoding, your emails will have breaks put in them.  If you're using something else (see Outlook link
below), it may not.

Here's how to fix most of the broken links:
--In Thunderbird, which is what I use, you can go to Tools->Options->Composition->General and set a higher number for "Wrap plain
text messages at ___ characters."  For this email, I have the wrap set to 130 characters.
--For Apple folks, this page gives a good overview of the problem and how to fix it:
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2007/01/sendlongurl/index.php>
--Although I've never used Outlook, this page explains how to make it work for Outlook 2003:
<http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/blogs/alistair/archives/51>

Note that the MacWorld link I gave above recommends putting angle brackets (< >) around links, as most programs will realize that
something within angle brackets is a link and will display it accordingly.

Michelle

--
***************

Michelle Touton