From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:44:38 -0700
Karl Miller responds to me:

>> At one point I had over 80 recordings of Mahler's 4th symphony.
>
>Have you ever considered doing a discography of the piece, or is there
>a complete Mahler discography out there somewhere?

Most of them were in Peter Fulop's 1995 Mahler discography, though
I really should make a list of those that are not, many of which are
airchecks.  He only listed commercially available recordings.  Last I
heard he was working on a new edition.

>> If I had ever record I ever owned I'd have to have two more rooms on
>> my house.
>
>Are there some you regret having let go?

Yes, although most everything has come out on CD.  There were some
original American jazz LPs, like Charles Mingus on Candid, that might
be worth something as collector"s items now.  And just the other day I
was broken-hearted, gearing up to make myself an R&B compilation, to
find that two Little Richards, a Chuck Berry and a Fats Domino had
disappeared.

However, now that you ask, there were some Haydn string quartets on a
budget Westminster sudsidiary by a Viennese quartet that I loved (two-tone
orange jacket, I believe), and a Music Guild LP of harp concerti: I've
never heard performances as lovely of the Boieldieu and the Mozart
concerto for flute, harp & strings, and I don"t even remember who the
artists were.  There was a period in the 1970s in London when I stupidly
thought I"d tape some albums on a reel-to-reel machine and sell them
because I was so broke.  I shoulda robbed a bank instead.

Then again...  When I worked in the tool room at a car factory I
accumulated two big chests full of tools, some of which I made myself,
and which I sold to a farmer in 1973 before I left Madison to go to
England; and to this day I will start out to the garage to look for a
tool I haven"t seen for nearly 35 years.  What a long, strange trip it's
been.

Donald