HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jeanette Mckenna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:46:15 -0700
Is ther evidence of a Key slot to roll the strip off the can?  It could be
meat or sardine (or other).  They can certainly date that early.

Jeanette McKenna

Amelia Earhart's final camp, and they have found a ring-pull that almost
certainly came from a food can.  The shape of the ring its point of
attachment are both the wrong shape for beer or soda can ring-pulls.

> I have a photo of the rusted ring-pull.  It was certainly made of ferrous
material (rust and magnet test), but the few on food containers I am
familiar with are all aluminum.

> Any idea when food cans shifted from rolled steel to aluminum ring-pulls?
The ring looks very similar to the ones on recent sardine and oyster cans,
so we suspect this one came from some form of rectangular can.  The can,
however, was not found.