HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:09:59 +1000
8bit
From:
Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>
The Brits were always way ahead in matters of stratigraphy, surfaces and soils.

Digging in arbitrary 10 cm spits has been less common in Britain than in the USA, I suspect.

Mortimer Wheeler had a lot of influence on the stratigraphic approach to digging. But the tradition goes way back beyond Wheeler.

Consider Droop's textbook of 1915:

ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXCAVATION
BY
J. P. DROOP, M.A.
Late Student of the British School at Athens
    Cambridge: at the University Press
1915

page ix

   "From the stress laid in the following pages upon stratification the reader might be excused for thinking that all sites have been stratified by past generations with a nice comprehension of the needs of the excavator. Unfortunately it is not so. Many sites show no strata and in many more the strata that once existed have been destroyed by rash digging for foundations or by other baleful activities, though ancient builders were not so criminal as their modern successors. But because where strata do not exist digging is easy, and because where strata do exist digging is most difficult and the results of digging most fruitful in knowledge, I believe that to be able to dig a stratified site well is to have attained to the highest and most remunerative skill in this particular work; therefore I make no apology for laying stress on the importance of stratification; its presence should always be assumed until the worst is known, for no scientific harm is done by the assumption a
 nd much may be saved."

page 7-8

  " General principles it is easy enough to state, but the matter is not so simple when it comes to the particular question, By what means are objects best found and made to yield up their story ? The answer comes in the form of another principle nearly as general as its predecessors. An excavation should be so conducted that it would be possible in theory to build up the site again with every object replaced exactly in its original position. For it is not until after excavation has disclosed fully what may be called the geological nature of the site, the original contours of the virgin soil, and the source and order of the subsequent accumulations, that reasoned conclusions can be formed as to the history of the objects found; and these conclusions cannot be formed, or at least cannot be formed with the same certainty, if the relations of the individual finds either with one another or with the geological conditions are not accurately known. Should the objects have been take
 n out in a higgledy-piggledy manner no subsequent knowledge of the history of the accumulations will be of much avail, and instead of having evidence from stratification the student will be reduced to evidence from style."

Richard Wright