From:
Marcia McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:00:49 -0400
Hi Lisa,
The WHO paper on relactation has a ton of good information in it.
Here's a snippet:
"A woman’s previous experience of lactation may have only a marginal effect
on her ability
to relactate. Auerbach and Avery (35) found that women who had never been
pregnant or
those with prior pregnancies who had never breastfed were somewhat less
likely to
relactate fully than were women who had previously breastfed, but the
difference was not
statistically significant. The same women were also less likely to produce
breastmilk
using mechanical stimulation before their adoptive infants suckled. If an
adoptive mother
had breastfed previously, the adopted infant was more likely to start suckling
in the first
ten days."

Marcia McCoy