From:
"j.nicholls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:53:57 +1200
Hi All

I had a mum call me to-day, asking if I had ever come across mothers who
have different let down betweens breast.

This Mum is now 6 weeks postpartum, and 5 years ago had breast implants
placed behind the muscles, she has been exclusively breast feeding and baby
has been gaining about 200 grams per week.  She  and the baby were treated
for Thrush and now she feels she could have ductual thrush, baby has also
thrush again.   But her concern now is when the baby goes to the left breast
he gets really fussy pulls off and on, she feels she doesn't get a let down
unless she stimulate the other breast. The mum feels the right breast has
always had better volume and baby feeds well on that side. I have discussed
that  one breast could have more ducts or openings than the other.

Could ductual thrush impact on the let down in one breast? How is the
diagnosis of ductual thrush made? And the other question she asked was if
the baby was so fussy should she just  breastfeed on one breast. I thought
she could but why involute the other breast if it wasn't necessary.

A  suggestion I made was to use hot flannels  and to do some hand expressing
to stimulate the let-down before putting baby to the breast.  This mum has
had 3 other children but this is the first baby born since having the
implants.

Thankyou

June Nicholls

IBCLC