From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:06:09 -0500
I agree with this.  I am a dedicated supporter of breastfeeding and
understand all too well the subtle and not so subtle undermining of
breastfeeding BUT go look in a few old graveyards at the numbers of
babies who died in the past from all sorts of things.  Just because all
mothers breastfed did not mean that babies didn't die.  I personally am
thankful for scales and bottles and formula (when I can't get donated
human milk) and scientific research and lactation consultants who want
to be evidence based.  I do not personally believe in evolution, I
believe in devolution (the second law of thermodynamics). I see hundreds
of outpatient babies every year from all sorts of births (home,
c-section, vbac, vacuum, forceps, spontaneous, epiduralized,
unmedicated, etc) with many sorts of issues.  The main thing I am
convinced of right now is that women DO want to breastfeed.  It's up to
us as professionals to help them achieve their goals, to not be
patronizing, to give them truth and emotional support.  When we argue
about whether scales are good or not (hey formula is GOOD when it is
used appropriately!) or this or that technique is good - we miss the big
picture.  Our goal is for healthy moms and babies - physically,
emotionally, and spiritually and breastfeeding helps ALL of that.  It's
what our creator intended according to the Innocenti Declaration and
when we help make that happen, I believe we are doing God's work -
whether we acknowledge that or not.  With that said, I will probably go
no mail for a while.  If you wish to talk to me personally, you can
contact me off list.