ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:40:02 -0700

Actually, our experience lately has been that we have had difficulty
recruiting for project positions particularly in education.  I'm not
sure I understand your observations, Charlie.  If I understand you
correctly you have tons of people coming in with experience that is
not closely matched with the requirements you have.  So that would
suggest that there is some need for more preparation for people to
work in the informal science field.  However, I don't think that
certification is necessarily the answer.  Here in NYC we have some
very good museum education programs that are effectively
certification for participants in the field (I am thinking
particularly of the Bank Street programs). I am instinctually averse
to "professional standards" and certification, and would rather see a
proliferation of diverse education opportunities based upon an
increased plausibility of making a livelihood in the field.  In other
words, if we can pay more, professional programs will emerge.  As an
analogy, I think of the proliferation of fundraising degrees and
certificates that have sprung up in rich profusion.  The quality of
these programs vary widely.  There has been a sustained effort to
create a set of professional standards, which has been received with
varying degrees of enthusiasm.  The main thing is that it is
plausible to make a long term livelihood in fundraising, whereas it
is pretty difficult to envision a career path in informal science
education.

Eric Siegel
Director and Chief Content Officer
NY Hall of Science