HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Patrick Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:17:24 -0400
Put the buttons in a ceramic cup(s) and cover them with distilled, white
vinegar. After the vinegar turns bluish-green and contains corrosive grit,
dry them on a paper towel and examine using a magnifying glass or scanner at
1200 dpi.

If still unreadable, put them back in the vinegar for another soaking.
Depending on the amount of wear, it make take a couple of hours or
overnight. If wear has rendered the features of the button(s) unreadable,
then the vinegar solution or bath will not work of course.

Pat Tucker
French-Canadian Heritage Society of Michigan
Detroit