HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:19:01 -0500
Greetings all,

This is just a quick reminder to everyone that we will be having our fifth annual African Diaspora Archaeology forum at the 2008 SHA conference in Albuquerque, NM.
The theme for this year’s forum is:  Is “Public Outreach” Enough?: Exploring the Place for Activism in 21st Century African Diaspora Archaeology.”

We are currently scheduled for Thursday afternoon, January 10, 2008.

The moderators are Carol McDavid, myself, and Jamie C. Brandon.
While we three may start the ball rolling, the point as always is to encourage as open a forum as possible, engender a frank discussion, and have something more come out of all this than just an exercise in rhetoric.  I’ve posted the abstract below, just to remind everyone what the starting point (though perhaps not the ending point) of the forum is this year.

I hope everyone can attend,

James M. Davidson

Abstract: Is “Public Outreach” Enough?: Exploring the Place for Activism in 21st Century African Diaspora Archaeology

Some of those in African Diaspora archaeology would say that framing their work in an “engaged” fashion is by definition “activist.” Others -- even those who embrace descendant involvement -- may feel uncomfortable with seeing their work in this way. This forum will discuss what being an “activist” archaeologist means in the specific context of Diaspora studies. Participants will discuss the various ways “activism” plays out in individual practice, and will explore how (or whether) viewing their work as “activist” aids or impedes scientific research, funding opportunities, and institutional support.

James M. Davidson

Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology and African-American Studies
University of Florida
1112 Turlington Hall
PO Box 117305
Gainesville, FL 32611-7305