HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:30:45 EDT
I'm enjoying how everyone is getting involved with this chicken  question.
They all seem to be having fun with the discussion.  I  recognize several names
having read their faunal  papers.

One gentleman mentioned having buried avian  skeletons.  He then dug them up
8 months later to find that most of the  bones had disintegrated.  Well .... I
have avian bones that had been buried  for YEARS and they were all PERFECT
when I dug them up!  Hey ... look  at the 150 - 200 year old bird bones from
Ballast Point.  They're in  wonderful condition.  So it depends on how they were
buried.  The same  applies for human bodies in crime scene  forensics.

I agree with the person who brought up dogs  and pigs loving chicken bones.
Lots of people had a pig or two.  Lots  had dogs.  Both were allowed to have
free range (feral pigs and  dogs).  I know pigs were fed leftovers (dogs too).
Why not chicken  bones.  Hey ... I watch CSI -- they had a show where a
murder fed his  victims to his pigs.  Yum!

Paula Reynolds, faunal  analyst
Fort Guijarros Museum Lab