HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Parkhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:08:23 -0500
I guess I was asleep at the switch when this talk about poultry was started.
My Mom and I raised over 500 white Leghorn chickens during the
depression just to survive. (Broken home, single Mom) We also raised
turkeys and Guineas (?). The Guineas were for burglar alarms. We
delivered chickens (whole or cut up) and eggs three times a week to
folks in the city in order to make a living. Tim Rowe and his "Dirty
Job" crew would have a ball today following us around the chicken
yard. We got hit by chicken pox one year and nearly got wiped out.
Vet told us to remove the pox from each chicken by hand. We did and
we lost only a few birds and one of the two roosters. The remaining
rooster lost an eye to the pox so we called him "Ole One-eye". So
what else could we call him. We had  fried, baked, roasted, boiled
and bar-B-qued chicken darn near every day. Today I can't stand the
idea of white meat but love the dark meat. Dearly love chicken and
dumplings especially the drop dumplings. No I do not make a  chicken
and dumpling soup!!!
DTP