HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 04:20:36 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/2007 3:29:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Whats a  dig bar?...nothing better than throwing dirt with a shovel into
the tripod  in my book....made my own wood framed screens..but I used
aircraft grade  stainless steel mesh.

Sure, a dig bar. I remember one out in the Laguna Mountains in the early
1970s. The locals slapped two wide boards across a couple of barrels and sold
hard cider or moonshine to who ever happened to pass by the dirt road...  out
Kitchen Creek way....right?

Actually, I think Carol is referring to what is also called an "adobe bar"
and it is about 5-feet tall, over 1-inch thick, has a point on one end, and a
chisel on the other and weighs about 15-pounds. The San Diego soil is kinda
tough, so excavators learn to lift and slam the chisel end hard into the soil
to  loosen it up for the shoveler to swing it into the screens. Builds
character, as  well as strong arms. The pointed end is good for prying boulders of
lifting your  Jeep when it is stuck in a pothole. Sometimes, just fer sport mind
you, the  field crew might joust with a couple of dirt bars late at night. Oh
wait, the  insurance wouldn't cover that!

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.