HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Doms, Keith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:20:41 -0400
I do not mean to burst anyone's bubble but it looks to me like the back
is curved and glazed.  Not very tile like in my experience.  So, it is a
reasonably executed classical revival, probably slip cast, sherd of
white granite.  Probably English as most American White granite pieces
have low decoration that are usually geometric or floral.  Maybe from a
large diameter vessel like a wash pitcher.

Classical revival starts when? 1760s? and is still around in limited
quantity today.  Wedgwood has always been famous for it.  Then white
granite begins about 1830.  So that gives us post 1830 to the early
1900s.