HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:08:26 -0700
I'll respond, even tho I don't post much any more (and don't seem to get
all the original postings...and only some of the replies - ??)

>1) Who are you?

Carol Serr - Lab Goddess for the Jones & Stokes CRM firm - San Diego, CA
office.  Received my "lowly BA" in Anthro way back in 1978 at SDSU.
Didn't specialize in archy in school, but that's what I 'fell in to'
upon graduating (worked a 2-day job; then word of mouth got me 6 yrs of
sweaty fieldwork and 4 yrs of lab work....all prehistoric (gasp!),
before attaining a full-time position here in 1989 - where I  did more
sweating, etc. in the mts and deserts) until I became sedentary in the
Lab around 1994.
Prior to about 2000, our company (but not J&S back then) had not had any
historic archy projects, so my experience has been on-the-job learned.
Thanks to connecting with fellow HISTARCH member Bill Lockhart, I have
been part of a bottle mark reseach group for a few yrs now, and have
learned a LOT.  Our lab is 'flooded' with historic artifacts at the
moment, from 4 different jobs. It wasn't until we started doing so much
monitoring in downtown San Diego, that we encountered historic trash
(before then, I was content playing with rocks and shell).

>2) Dirtiest moment in the field.

Hard to remember (brain is too old).  I used to come home pretty filthy
all the time, after digging and screening.  I had a 'boot stuck in muck'
experience also, back in Field School - at Ozette, in WA.  Nearly fell
over into the sticky bluegray clay.  That was definitely the wettest
moments...since we 'excavated' with water pressure.

>3) Your idea of the best dressed archaeologist, i.e. what
>practical gear should they be wearing?

Haven't seen anyone mention it yet....a surveyors vest with LOTs of
pockets (I sewed my own back in 1980).  Maybe these have been replaced
in "more modern times" (I havent done fieldwork since 1994) with cargo
pants. ??
The 'kids' these days can't even imagine doing fieldwork without cell
phones, GPS units, etc.  We had none of that and worked in some very
remote places; and some times I was sent out by myself to do a
survey....and I never gave it much thot (I still don't use a cell
phone).  Not a wise thing to go solo tho (I just followed orders).