Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:37:06 -0500
On Oct 9, 2007, at 10:06 AM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> Say, a pregnant mom  is a cocaine
> addict...would we speak to her.  Certainly I wouldn't walk up  to a
> near
> stranger and spout my opinion, but say a co-church goer, a friend of
> mine, etc,
> sure I would say something.  Gentle, but firm truth.

Maybe I'm crazy, but if it is common knowledge, freely shared, that a
mom were doing cocaine, as it is apparently common knowledge freely
shared that this mom is not going to breastfeed, I don't know that I
*would* say anything.  You can bet she would get a sling for a baby
gift, because she has some big strikes against her in the bonding
department already.  Either the hypothetical or the real mom obviously
knows that she is not making a choice most people would agree with, and
the best we can do is come along side and offer to help her be the very
best mom she can be, *within the boundaries she has chosen for herself
and her baby.*

When we have a relationship that goes beyond the professional, ie
through church or Kiwanis or what have you, we have lots and lots of
opportunities that have no surface relationship to breastfeeding--we
can bring meals, do laundry, give an appropriate and useful gift, take
care of raking the fall leaves that are coming down in my neck of the
woods :)

In other words, we have the opportunity to show her that we care about
her as a person and a mother, not just as a set of sadly non-lactating
breasts.  Unconditional love is an amazing thing.

Lynn in MO
who got unconditionally loved a few weeks ago and it rocked my world.