From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:11:35 -0400
Dear all:

Bear with me for a moment while I complain and get it out of my system. No one funded
me, nor did I ask for funding to collect data on test-weighing.  I just went through page by
page the methodology of everything I could lay my hands on for test-weighing.  Apart from
Paula Meier's and Ken Brown's (now at Davis, but formerly of Hopkins, the sample sizes for
all the studies is ridiculously low.  My sample size with no funds exceeds that of most of the
studies that received funds.  I think that is pathetic.

The devil is always in the details.  Going from the giant review article that I initially read to
the detailed methods sections and the little glimpses of clues of things that we all know as
lactation consultants is fascinating.  Had we been around when some of these studies were
done, we could all have lent a degree of pragmatic common sense to some of the academic
arguements.

Best, Susan Burger.