HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:04:06 -0500
John Strong was kind enough to help me find an alternative route to those
pictures of Chattel Houses mentioned earlier.  Thanks.

FYI: In my part of the American South (Alabama), we would NOT recognize
these Barbados structures as related to our "shot gun houses"  because the
entrances are not located in the gable end.   At least in my region, that is
an important defining attribute.

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba Archaeological Site
Alabama Historical Commission
719 Tremont Street
Selma, AL 36701-5446
334/875-2529

you could try a different website, Linda - I like this one -

http://mendesco.com/chatelh.htm