HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Parkhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 11:06:20 -0600
Being new to HISTARCH I am impressed with the amount of and diversity
of knowledge among the membership. Please allow me to jump into the
waters of knowledge to locate possible information.

I have been working on a historic Grist Mill (corn grinding) site for
about seven years now. I have never found an accurate drawing of an
overshot waterwheel showing all the working components. At one point
in time the mill was converted into a horizontal water wheel. I have
several blades from the horizontal wheel which seems to indicate it
was an enclosed wheel. No proof!! Date of the mill is 1835-38.

I hope someone in the membership can guide me to a reference book,
paper or something to help me understand the workings of this type of
mill.All guidance will be appreciated.