From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:38:34 +0200
I have a BIG issue with the non-recording of comps being given to babies.
It's dishonest, unethical and dangerous.  It causes problems with evaluating
how breastfeeding is going - baby may appear happy, have changing stools,
yet when observed at the breast is not nursing effectively.

In the hospital where I work, babies are supposed to room-in, but mothers
are encouraged to have their babies in the nursery at night and un-recorded
comps are frequently given - lately by bottle (our policy is cup feeding).
We have babies vomiting fresh formula in the morning, and other evidence -
such as bottles left in cribs.

With the support of a paediatrician I threw out all bottle teats (nipples)
last week.  We have some irate staff members and some that are supportive.
Comps are being charted - at least for now.  We soldier on - till the next
time!  I would love a daddy-lawyer to sue one day!!

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
Hospital and Private Practice
South Africa   [log in to unmask]