From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2007 08:50:39 +1000
Linda Palmer and others have posted on the changes made from time to time in the composition of factory-made artificial baby milks (the so-called "infant formulae").  I'm not going to comment on actual ingredients, but more broadly.

What has struck me, looking at a broad sweep of time, has been that each wave of changes has been promoted as closest to mother's milk, or the "best" food for babies, or similar claims.  Yet, the same companies had been making similar claims for the product that preceded the change.  They were, in effect, contradicting themselves, yet for decades the consumer and the health services never picked up on that.  They should have been asking - if the new, "improved" product was described as almost identical to mother's milk - what about the claims that the previous product was equivalent or similar to mother's milk?  The advertising hype, and words such as "new" and "improved", can be very persuasive.  There is more monitoring of such claims now, in Australia, through APMAIF (despite the limitations of this monitoring system)

The home-modified artificial baby milks, made from cow's milk (or occasionally goat's milk) were concocted at home from recipes provided by the Sisters (nurses) at the free baby clinics. These were favoured by the health services in the inter-war years (1920s-'30s), the 1940s and well into the postwar period.   The cow's milk was usually the liquid variety, but it could be in dried or evaporated form.  The recipes involved dilution with water and the addition of sugar (preferably "sugar of milk", though cane sugar was also used).  The cow's milk had to be brought to the boil.  (Some earlier recipes involved an "emulsion", or fat, but babies - including breastfed babies - might be given one separately, e.g. Hypol in the 1940s.)  Mothers were told to give vitamin drops, including for breastfed babies, and juice from around 4 weeks, at first a few drops in water, by bottle.  In Queensland for many years, they were told to give a very salty yeast extract, Vegemite, in water from a few weeks of age for vit. B1, and this was also recommended in at least one other state, but at a later age.  In hot climates the salt content should have been of particular concern, as I pointed out in my first book in 1974.  Water was much used, e.g. to space out the feedings to 4-hourly.

In some states, the mother book that all new mothers were given did not provide the actual recipes, except for an emergency one, as mothers were expected to attend the baby clinic to be given a recipe after assessment of their baby.  Advertising of evaporated milk by Carnation in the 1960s criticised the factory-modified "complete" products, stating that using Carnation allowed for a more individual approach, under the direction of the nurse or doctor.  In most or all states, mothers were given individual instructions, written into a booklet the mother carried wth her, and the clinic Sisters provided the recipes for any changes.  Keep in mind, though, that mothers did not always follow the Clinic advice exactly.

Now for some semantics (terminology).  These home-modified feedings were referred to (depending on the State) as "recipes" or "milk mixtures" and similar terms, as they were individually provided formulae.  Spock, in his 1945/46 first edition, used the term "formula" for his recipes for home-modified cow's milk.  This was *not* the term he used for factory-made products.  In Australia, factory-made proprietory products were usually referred to by brand name, at least into the 1970s.  The term "formula" gradually crept into usage after that, and it seemed to creep into advertising first.  It is, I believe, a misleading word, implying laboratories rather than factories.  On the other hand, it replaced use of brand name for these products, a practice that unwittingly seemed to endorse particular brands.  For my own use, I prefer to use a more accurate descriptor, e.g. "artificial baby milk" or "factory-made milk".

What has all this got to do with breastfeeding?  Plenty, as we need to know the past and attitudes that are still influencing mohters and their families.

Virginia

Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC.
Lactation Consultant (original cohort of 1985).
Cultural historian of the History of Medicine.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.