From:
Allan Gotthelf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:03:04 EST
I recently acquired and have been listening to Radu Lupu's Sonatas 8,
14 and 21, on Belart.  Although I generally don't like attempts to equate
slow playing with profundity, I do think his rather slow performances are
*very* effective in drawing out aspects of the music's sensitivity, which
I'd missed or saw underemphasized in some other performances.  Do others
agree, or do you find that the slowness distorts the overall structure?

Allan Gotthelf