From:
Ed Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:19:37 -0500
Somehow when I hear the term 'dramatic literature' The Marriage of Figaro
doesn't come to mind.  I'm sure of the story of Giovanni, but from what I
can remember, 'Marriage' isn't exactly dramatic.  If you were to teach it
from the standpoint of the sound of the music, then I would say yes, it is
very dramatic.  You can always ask your students how they liked the music,
their critiques, opinions, or reactions.  In the days of Classical opera,
the libretto was not considered to be the most important part of an opera.
In fact, very often they were rather silly.  From an emotional level, the
music pretty much stands on it own on all levels.  If you are firm on these
two operas, then tread carefully.  For next year you might want Verdi or
Puccini- that would be dramatic.

Good Luck

Ed Morgan, President