ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:52:46 -0700

For me. this thread generates some interesting questions.  When I read the
first e-mail, I had an immediate negative response to the quote. I even
called Starbucks.  Now I am rethinking my first response when I looked at it
in context.

First the quote was not used to promote a point of view or a belief or to
support the author's point of view (it says so on the cup).  It is also not
a matter of Starbucks "taking sides." It seems to me that its intent is to
throw out ideas to provoke some thinking or discussion in the tradition of
coffee houses.  And that it did!   I often sit with a group at Starbucks to
"solve the world's problems."   None of us had ever paid any attention to
the quotes on the cups.  So I shared the one here.  It provoked some quality
discussion.  Mostly that Wells must be an awful biologist.  And it made some
in the group more aware of the struggle for understanding we often find in
science.  By the way - we checked out many other cups in the store and found
that the range of quotes contained some interesting ideas.

As for me, I often throw out controversial ideas to challenge my thinking as
well as that of others.  That does not mean that I support the ideas, but
that sometimes it is beneficial to look at extreme sides of an issue and see
where it goes.

Congratulations to Starbucks for at least trying to briefly stimulate our
minds and attempting to expand on the "tradition of the coffeehouse."  Maybe
there is an idea here for our museums. Do controversial ideas have a place
in museums?  Can these ideas be launching pads for exploration?  How do we
get conversation and debate going between our visitors?

Oh, but the way, why don't some of us generate some ideas about science
learning that just might make it onto one of the cups.  Mac Sudduth (are you
there?) posted a wonderful message about what science is about a year or
more ago.  It should be on cups in science museums as well as at Starbucks.
And here is mine:  "Information is a tool - Not a destination."

Send out some quotable comments from you.

Bill Schmitt