HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 13:11:13 -0400
We find these carbon rods frequently on early 20th c. sites in New York,
both the ribbed and smooth varieties. They had paper wrapping (we once
found several with the decayed wrappings still in place in a 1954 fill
deposit) and two brass screw terminals, one in the middle and one on the
edge of the top, and were 3-3 *" in diameter. Checking the Sears
Catalogs and other online sources seems to indicate that the primary
household uses of these large (5"-to 7") cylindrical batteries were for
doorbells and the old "magneto" telephones, although Sears describes
such other common uses as starting stationery engines and operating a
variety of small appliances from electric fans to medical apparatuses of
various sorts. When I was in grade school in the '50s, they were still
used for doorbells and science-fair experiments. Back then most common
dry cells were 1 * volt, the size difference affecting the durability of
the charge. These were used in applications like telephones and
telegraph apparatus because they lasted quite a while in continuous use.
Telephone companies would replace the batteries in household phones
(rented from the company) every 4-6 months.

An interesting telephone history site is:
www.gutenberg.org/files/15617/15617-h/15617-h.htm

Marty Pickands
New York State Museum

>>> "Leslie C. "Skip" Stewart-Abernathy" <[log in to unmask]>
5/22/2007 6:58 PM >>>
Hi.  We found a larger-than-flashlight-core carbon rod at the
steamboat debris field at the West Memphis Ghost Boats site (ca
1910-20) and we took it for a carbon-arc lamp remnant, with, as I
recall, some confirmation from an old riverman.  Mark Twain in Life
on the Mississippi called them "daylight in a box" and contrasted
them with the primitive pine-pitch-in-a-basket lighting he knew as a
cub.  I'll have to check the measurements.  At the Moser farmstead
site (1880s-1920) in Ozarks Benton Co. in Arkansas we found a battery
core that matched the 1890s Sears catalog, and also 3 or 4 from a dry
cell battery at the Polk farmstead (1920s-30s) house cellar in
Ouachitas Howard Co. in Arkansas.