From:
John Bell Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:20:52 -0500
Kar-Ming Chong wrote:

>No, no, not at all.  I referred to your statement to point out a particular
>Richter recording of Scriabin Etudes that I possessed and enjoyed very
>much.  Sort of a recommendation to list members who might be interested in
>Scriabin's Etudes.

That's what I thought.

>To my knowledge, only Piers Lane has recorded the complete Etudes of
Scriabin.

Well, no. Nikita Magaloff recorded the complete etudes (Valois), and
so did several Russians, including Viktor Merzhanov, I believe, on some
old Melodiya discs.  There are also complete sets by Chitose Okashiro
(ProPiano), Arthur Greene (Supraphone) and Alexander Paley (Naxos) which
I described in an earlier post the other day.

>>What's more, Of particular interest, by the way, is a recording on the
>>Music and Arts label of a Scriabin recital he gave in Warsaw that includes
>>several etudes.
>
>Thanks for the info. I'll start hunting for this disc real soon.

It is a fabulous performance, recorded 27 October 1972 in Warswaw, and
includes a selection of preeludes, the Sonata fantasie, the 5th and 9th
sonatas, and 6 etudes from op 42.  (Music and Arts 878).  I also recommend
highly the following:

1) A disc on Harmonia Mundi's "Saison russe" label 788032 called "Scriabin
and the Scriabinists" which includes performances of various woks by
Sofronitsky (in several etudes, and these come as close to definitive
as one is likely to get), Neuhaus, Feinberg, Goldenweiser and Scriabin
himself.

2) Heinrich Neuhaus plays Scriabin, performances from 1938-1946 on the
Dante label  HPC 067

3) Neuhaus plays Scriabin (including the concerto and a later performance
of the B minor Fantasie) on Russian Compact Disc 16247 (distributed by
Albany)

4) Valery Kastelsky plays various works Russian Compact Disc  16336

5) Halida Dinova (not to be confused with Deyanova) Doremi 71133, and
which includes one of the better readings of the etude Op 42:5 on record.

6) Scriabin played by Dag Achatz (BIS 119), especially for his most
compelling account of Vers la flammes that, next to Horowitz, is one
of the great performances of it.  Marvelous.

John Bell Young