ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Blair Clarkson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:32:02 -0500

Robotics Theme Events-Workshops at the Ontario Science Centre (OSC)
Developed by Blair Clarkson, OSC Coordinator Special Events & Attractions

Here is some info on our OSC Robotics Programs and Workshops that we have developed and expanded upon since 2002.  These extended experiences (with multiple community partners) involve robotics workshops for youth and families as well as after school robot clubs.  To go along with this we have also developed a very strong ongoing Robotics Competition theme with both public (ECRG & CNRG) and
school (FIRST) robot games that happen four times a year at OSC.

The (at-risk) youth and family workshops and after-school robot clubs are supported-funded by ProAction Cops & Kids, the Trillium Foundation and the Youth Challenge Fund (all aimed at helping at-risk youth) and supported by Celestica employee volunteers & local community Police Officers and the Metro Police ETF Robot Squad (provides robot demo when available).

The unique aspect of these OSC workshops is that the youth/families get to keep the robots they build and they can add programs/hardware to them at school or home and then use them to participate in robot competitions and/or for school projects and/or in after-school robot clubs etc...
(you can check out our workshops & special presentations on YouTube links below:)

A 5 min. overview of these at-risk youth, family robotics workshops at:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LZPPeUIDBXs

A 5 Min Trillium Youth Robotic Workshops Launch with Astronaut Chris Hadfield:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QZ2-mdDfp08

A 5 Min Trillium Youth Robot Workshops-MDA Autonomous Mars Rover demo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BTirPbhgYP8

Our Next robot workshops will be Dec 22-23, 2007 with 4 sessions of 16 families each session (2 sessions a day) from Flemingdon Park Community area with Celestica Volunteers and local Community Police Officers helping and funded by ProAction Cops&Kids thru Police 54 Division.

Best Regards,

Blair Clarkson
Coordinator Special Events & Attractions (Robotics Theme Developer)
Ontario Science Centre
Toronto, ON, Canada
Email: [log in to unmask]