ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jason jay stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:41:58 -0600

I'm not sure you'll get a human-powered DVD player that will work
very well, for a lot of the same reasons having your computer plugged
into a switched outlet and flipping the switch on and off is not a
good idea.
DVD players rely on a steady inflow of power to operate.  They don't
run slow the way a phonograph player would if it wasn't receiving
full juice.  And with any unregulated human-powered exhibit, you risk
power surges which could fry the little computer in the DVD player.
Also, I've never seen a DVD player that doesn't have a lengthy start-
up mode before any video will play.  That makes the feedback/response
pretty clunky.

Try plugging a player into a circuit with a dimmer switch and
experiment.

On the other hand, I can think of three ways off the top of my head
to fake it!
For example, I've built a couple art installations in which the user
seems to be turning CD players on and off, but in actuallity, the CD
players is always on, and the speakers are switched.
Likewise, you could have a human-powered TV monitor, and keep the DVD
player running constantly.

Good luck and let us know what develops.  I'd prefer to be proven
incorrect on this!

--Jason

__
JasonJayStevens