ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anna Grace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:41:28 -0800

Plain and simple:  Who doesn't like playing with objects?
Sounds like a cool idea.  Good luck.

Anna

On Nov 10, 2006, at 2:57 AM, Hanna Sathiapal wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
> ******
>
> What a pity to have missed the discussion about museum-users as
> participants. Thank you Ian for sharing your blog from 1998. In the
> meantime, what are your experiences with projects on visitor
> participation in content creation?
>
> In the context of an exhibition on how an encylopaedia is produced I
> am thinking of a part with a selection of curiosity-cabinet-like
> objects that visitors can use to build exhibition. By arranging,
> contextualizing and categorizing objects, knowledge construction is
> shown as an open-ended and social process. Does anyone know of any
> similar approaches and corresponding experiences?
>
> The curator's objection is that people likely to visit an exhibition
> on encyclopaedias in the national library would'nt want to play with
> objects.
>
> Any thoughts about this?
>
> Thank you and best,
>
> Hanna Sathiapal
>

> fingertip hands-on stationen
> birchlenstrasse 10, ch-8600 dübendorf
> +41 43 355 92 70, www.fingertip.ch
>
> Am 10.11.2006 um 00:47 schrieb Ian Russell:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
>> Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>> institutions.
>> *******
>>
>> At 19:12 09/11/2006, Nina Simon wrote:
>>
>>> Dear museum smarties,
>>>
>>> Like many of you, I was energized, inspired, simultaneously over- and
>>> under-whelmed by ASTC this year.  I was particularly motivated by
>>> some
>>> discussions about ways to more meaningfully bring visitors into the
>>> museum as users--active participants in content creation.
>>>
>>> So, I've started a blog, Museum 2.0
>>> (http://www.museumtwo.blogspot.com),
>>> to explore some of these ideas.  The web is amazing for its ability
>>> evolve and adapt, and web 2.0 applications give users high-value,
>>> personalized content based on their social participation in them.
>>> Why
>>> can't museums do the same?  Can this model of visitor/user engagement
>>> work in our halls and programs?  How far can/will/should we go?
>>
>> I've just had a strange experience!
>>
>> Reading Nina Simon's message, I recalled chairing an online
>> discussion about the same great question, back in 1998 as an
>> official, 'virtual' part of that year's Museums and the Web
>> conference in Toronto
>> http://www.archimuse.com/mw98/abstracts/russell.html under the title,
>> 'Symmetrical Transactions'.
>>
>> I searched Google to see if any vestiges of that discussion still
>> remained in cyberspace. I discovered that it's all still there,
>> fossilised in a long-forgotten, unlinked corner of my OWN website.
>> http://www.interactives.co.uk/graffiti/
>>
>> It felt peculiar to read again through this stimulating discussion
> [...]
--------------------
Anna Grace
Exhibit Coordinator

Explorit Science Center
2801 2nd Street (Main Public Site)
3141 5th Street (Mace Park Branch)
P.O. Box 1288 (mail address)
Davis, CA 95617
530.756.0191
fax 530.756.1227
http://www.explorit.org

We've expanded!  Explorit's public exhibit gallery has moved to our new
site along I-80 which opened on September 23 at 2801 2nd St..  Learn
more about our Expanding the Explorit Experience project and on-going
capital campaign by visiting
http://www.explorit.org/expansion/index.html