ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew Wenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:16:34 -0700

Hi Becky,

Here is the info on the camera we have used:

FLIR Systems has been mentioned on the list by others and it is where we
got our camera.

http://www.goinfrared.com/cameras/all_cameras.asp

1) Most recently we purchased the B2 for around $9k or $10k. (We may
have gotten an educational discount, so make sure you ask about this).

2) FLIR cameras come with several color palettes pre-installed.  Our B2 has:
-Iron (example picture in link below, I've never tried ours on a cannon)
http://www.nationalinfrared.com/images/ir360_Force_protection_thermal_FLIR_imager.gif
-Rainbow (example picture in link below)
http://www.infraredresearchcameras.com/images/gallery/SPLi_ir_wafer_104.jpg
-Black and White (Black Hot), and Black and White (White Hot)
These work like they sound, gray-scale with either white or black as the
high and low temperatures

It may also have an additional option but I can't remember right now
what it is.

3) We have found that visitors like using it, find it interesting, talk
about it with each other, and stay a long time at the exhibit.  In my
book it's very effective, however, we've never tried to specifically
measure outcomes.

4) You want to make sure visitors can't put their fingers on the camera
lens.  We found that steel screen works well to cover any openings, but
make sure the holes aren't smaller than about 1/4 inch or you risk
degrading image quality, I'd test this out to see what you like best.

I also agree that a large projection screen is a great way to show the
image.

to email themselves images from the infrared camera.  This is an awesome
addition.  Visitors like it so much that when the software screwed up
and started emailing the wrong pictures to people, they actually
followed up with us to get their correct images.  I rarely see this kind
of a response and interest, especially for a free service after the fact...

I'd be happy to talk more about any of this if you want to contact me
off-list.

Matthew Wenger
Graduate Associate
Flandrau: The University of Arizona Science Center
1601 E. University Blvd.
Tucson, AZ 85719-0091

Work Cell: 520-576-4804
Home Cell: 520-730-2141