ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sam Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:33:14 -0800

Hi Becky!

This is absolutely one of my favorite exhibits to use as an
exploration platform with visitors!  How fun!

You might want to look into leasing vs purchasing a heat camera.  You
would be off the hook for maintenance of these highly technical
items, as well, and access to newer models down the road if you want
to update.  The cost of leasing (perhaps $3,500/yr) might seem high,
but compared to the high ticket cost of good thermal cams, it might
make more sense long-term to lease.

Stuart has some great ideas!  I also recommend that Explainers have
items like black plastic trash bags, which are translucent to visible
but transparent to infrared.  Having near access to an ice machine
lets you have fun with ice cubes, where you can paint on your face,
arms, clothes, etc.  Placement of the exhibit can make a difference
as well.  At COSI Toledo, we had one near our school group entrance
(by happenstance, not design), and we noticed that in the winter as
kids came in from the coooooold, they would watch themselves unwrap
and warm up in front of the camera.  Great held moment there for us
to explore with groups when they're at their most curious.

Also, I'm a big fan of the wall-projection size image vs tv-sized
image.  There feels to be a such of wonder and scale on larger
projections that seems missing on smaller versions I've seen.  It
also allows you to immerse in playing with the camera, not having to
huddle close to the monitor to see what's going on, freeing you up to
explore by yourself or with your larger group.

Best-

Samson

Sam Dean
Director - ExNet Program