ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 15:04:03 EST

I send frequent green tips to all staff every week or two. I try to  have
them apply on our campus as well as being something people can do at  home.  This
was last week's tip:

Do you have a Vampire lurking in your department?  Vampire refers to  the
electric power consumed by electronic appliances in a stand by mode. It  includes
 power adapters for a cell phones, radios or battery chargers.  They continue
to waste power even when nothings plugged into them.  It's  said 17-25% of
household electricity use is due to Vampire Power - overall the  cost of this
'lost' power is estimated to be 4 Billion dollars... I don't want  to think
about how much CO2 the production of that much electricity puts  out!

We had staff unplugging or switching chargers to power strips that could
easily be turned off (no one was crawling under their desk to unplug their radio
or cell phone charger when they took them off the charger prior to this). A
lot  of tools that were always plugged in such as the battery charger for
drills are  now only being plugged in when needed. I personally unplugged 6 of them
in one  building. Maintenance had stuff plugged in that they will not need
until spring.

Another popular tip (based on return emails) were how to double side and
change margins on printers. There were a lot of people on staff who had no  idea
it was even possible.

Vicki Scheunemann
Conservation Officer
St Paul's Como Zoo & Conservatory