ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:10:07 -0400

I've had success in recruiting people for focus groups and surveys using a couple of strategies:

1.  Offering adults and family groups modest incentives, such as IMAX theater tickets, some complimentary admission tickets for a future visit, or a gift certificate to the gift shop.

2.  Recruiting school classes prior to their field trip, again offering the school some incentives, whether it is simply a payment or some free programs or field trips.

3.  If the students don't need to be on site for the evaluation, I have had success in conducting evaluations at schools -- again with some incentives.  I have conducted a "focus group" or group discussion with entire classes, and/or had the kids fill out surveys.  In the U.S., various kinds of permission are needed, so you have to plan ahead several months to make this work.

Bob Russell
Learning Experience Design
(202) 997-5539