ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:06:01 -0500
7bit
From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>

ReaL (Regional and Local) Earth System Inquiry, a project in New York
State, http://people.colgate.edu/ddugganhaas/real/real.html, is the
brainchild of Don Duggan-Haas at Colgate University.  I learned about it
from his presentation at a recent Geological Society of America meeting.
He has teachers creating virtual field trips and posting them to access
with Google Earth.  One interesting collaborative application has been
that apparently two classes at opposite ends of the state got on the
phone and each class narrated their local trip and answered questions as
the other class was looking at it, so each class got to be the local
expert and to learn from experts about something that wasn't local to
them.

I love their guiding question - "Why does this place look the way it
does?"

Dave Smith

David L. Smith, Ph.D.
Director of Professional Development