Date:
Sat, 26 May 2007 11:57:30 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/2007 8:59:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Wightsd
writes:

No-one knows exactly how much colostrum is necessary in any given infant  to
maintain blood glucose, but it must be VERY little.  You are too young  to
remember when we were taught to keep all babies NPO for 6-8 hrs, then feed
sterile water, and only then formula or breast milk.  The WHO document  says no
healthy term infant gets hypoglycemic from underfeeding in the first  few days.
Epidemiologic studies show that blood glucose increases over  time whether the
infant is fed or not.

Any feeding at the breast or drops of colostrum are considered OK.   The
specified volume is for formula, not EBM.

Nancy
Nancy E.  Wight MD, IBCLC, FABM, FAAP
Neonatologist
Medical Director, Lactation  Services
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women
San Diego, CA  USA

Nancy, thank you for your response and flattery to my age.
I have been preparing for the Skills Day, which we have twice a year  at my
hospital.  I am covering the composition of breast milk and  management of
hypoglycemia.
As I continued my research for material I came across a syllabus from a
conference that your were a speaker.  This was a couple years ago in the
Berkshire area of Massachusetts.  In your talk, Nancy, you covered  hypoglycemia.
There is a wealth of material for me to refer to at my short  talk.
My next hurtle is getting the majority of staff to believe in the science
verses just being comfortable with the way they have always done things.
Thanks again,
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA