From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:26:24 -0600
The comment was made that if we make a suggestion to the physician
and they recommend something it's okay.

Diana - you are obviously a doctor who values breastfeeding and
understands it has a huge body of knowledge. Unfortunately, that is
not the case for most physicians. I had a physician call me to ask
what the dosage for Domperidone was because she had a patient who
wanted an Rx for it. I had 2 doctors tell a mother that a retained
placenta was in no way related to low milk supply, AND that I was
straying into the "medical realm" by telling the mom involved that it
was. I had one doctor ask what could there possible be to learn about
breastfeeding that would take 3 whole days to learn. I had another
doctor ask me what the tongue had to do with breastfeeding. I could
go on and on, but I won't.

And I work at a hospital where 95% of our moms breastfeed, in a
community that is known to be very pro-breastfeeding! And this is the
level our docs work from. And I'm supposed to defer to their superior
knowledge? The only word for that is irresponsible.

For the record, when I tell moms about Domperidone, I inform them
about the controversy and encourage them to do independent research.
Most moms have access to the internet and if they do much surfing
related to low milk suplpy, they will hear about Domperidone and not
a lot more effort will let them know it is available OTC by internet
order. SO, I really don't think I'm stepping out of bounds by telling
them that, or that there is a pharmacy in our town that will compound
it.

Lactation consultants are the experts on breastfeeding, and we should
be allowed to give our best professional opinion.

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Erie/Boulder, Colorado